MOMOFUKU MILK BAR (Clarkson Potter; October 25, 2011) by pastry chef Christina Tosi is an answered prayer for throngs of fans who have clamored for the recipes for Christina Tosi’s riffs on childhood flavors and down-home classics. All of the bakery’s cult favorites are here from the sweet to the savory, including:
- crack pie®, a sugary-buttery confection as craveable as the name implies
- compost cookie®, a chunky chocolate-chip cookie studded with crunchy salty pretzels, potato chips, and coffee grounds
- cornflake-chocolate-chip-marshmallow cookie
- cereal milk™ ice cream, made from everyone’s favorite part of a nutritious breakfast—the milk at the bottom of a bowl of cereal
- kimchi and blue cheese croissants
- the volcano, an explosion of potato, lardons, and cheese
In addition to the recipes, MOMOFUKU MILK BAR weaves a compelling narrative, sharing the unlikely beginnings of this quirky bakery’s success. It all started when Momofuku founder David Chang asked Christina Tosi to make a dessert for service at Ssäm Bar one night. Just like that, the pastry program at Momofuku unfurled, and Christina’s lighthearted desserts helped Ssäm Bar earn three stars from the New York Times and Ko two stars from the Michelin Guide. Soon enough, Christina and company opened their own bakery, leaving city dwellers wondering how they ever lived without corn cookies or brownie pie.
Illustrated with 100 color photographs by Gabriele Stabile (who also shot Momofuku), and a foreword by David Chang, MOMOFUKU MILK BAR is sure to be this season’s must-have cookbook.